Welcome to The Elder Strolls!
The Elder Strolls is a series I wrote for PC Gamer, following in the spirit of Living in Oblivion: I played The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim as a lowly NPC named Nordrick (a distant descendant of Nondrick from LiO). My goals were simple: avoid adventure, find some way to make a living, find my own home, and get married, if possible. This ten-part series can be read by visiting the links below.
- Part One: Nordrick arrives in the coastal town of Dawnstar, ready to seek his fortune. He meets some of the locals and investigates a career in mining.
- Part Two: Nordick takes a break from mining to do some hunting. You might say the hunter quickly becomes the hunted, but that’s such a cliche. Don’t say that.
- Part Three: Unhappy with his prospects in the tiny town of Dawnstar, Nordrick sets out to find a larger city, hoping the game won’t notice.
- Part Four: The NPCs in Windhelm make Nordrick jealous of their jobs and homes. While out hunting, he stumbles across a shack and its two inhabitants, one of whom is eating the other.
- Part Five: After a week of living in his new shack, Nordrick gets irritated by his dead roommate and heads for Riften to begin his search for a spouse with a nice home.
- Part Six: Nordrick finds Riften to be a depressing dump full of jerks who would rather fight over his discarded hat than marry him. After a bleak week, however, he finds a companion, albeit a furry one.
- Part Seven: Back in Windhelm with Jasper, Nordrick finally meets someone who wants to get married. Unfortunately, it’s a homeless beggar who has even less to offer than Nordrick does.
- Part Eight: Nordrick, after deciding not to marry a stinky homeless man, travels to Whiterun, where he meets a woman keen to get hitched… but only if he’ll slay a mammoth.
- Part Nine: Having successfully wooed a woman with a piece of dead elephant, Nordrick takes a long walk back to Riften to attend his wedding.
- Part Ten: Now semi-happily married to a wife he can’t find, Nordrick rushes back to Whiterun with Jasper in tow, eager to begin his new life. The final entry.