February 21, 2002 - Temp Chat
7! Do You Huzzah?
you think about it, temps have been around forever. Anyone, at any
time in history, who was paid to
do an odd job, mend a fence, shoe a horse, gather firewood, assassinate
a monarch, whatever, could be said to be temporarily employed,
right? Work with me here.
most of my temp chats are about me searching for other temps online
(again, work with me here)... but why stick to this day and
age? This is the internet, after all... why not dabble in a little
time travel, baby!
it is! King Arthur, Merlin, the roundtable, alla that shizznt!
Bring it on!
case you're unfamiliar with this sort of thing, these kinds of chat areas involve people speaking in
character (these medieval personas they have invented for themselves), as well as performing
actions (also in character). Actions are preceded by an asterisk (*).
chose the name of Multus, which an online English-Latin dictionary
informed me meant 'briefly', or 'in brief' (among other things) in Latin.
Brief, temporary, see? Christ, I'm amazingly clever. Off I went, in the guise of
Annoying One, Recruiter of Temps, fully expecting to get kicked out before
I even got going. But hey, they were pretty tolerant! For a
Session Start: Wed
Feb 20 20:20:19 2002
(Dang, almost nailed the start
*** Now talking in
*** Medieval Fantasy
Locale: Castle set in beautiful English Countryside near the western shore
of Wales. No Foul Language, please be courteous.
- * Kalaris enters quietly, aside from the
shifting of her cloak and the faint chiming of her hair.
- * Guinevere smiles kindly at Saphire
- * SaphireDragon smiles back
- <Guinevere> Good night!
- <Multus> prithee, are there any temps
- <Multus> for i seeketh the employ of one
who might serve me, but for a short time
- <SaphireDragon> may i ask your name sire?
- <Multus> and I am called Multus
- <Montrovant> Montrovant
- <Multus> Well met!
- * Kalaris takes a seat, absently tracing odd
patterns on a table with her finger
- <Kalaris> What sort of employment do you
- <Multus> why, stablework, carpentry,
- <Multus> light filing, perchance
- * Kalaris arches an eyebrow. "A filing of
- <Multus> documents, parchment,
memos, luncheon receipts, and so on
- <Multus> pardon my haste, but my knave
called in ill. I suspect otherwise; it's the third time this month
he's come down with leprosy.
- * Kalaris crosses her long fingers and rests
them on her abdomen, watching
- <Multus> Pray, may I buy you a flagon of
ale, and describe to you my requirements for employment, my terms of
payment, and my comprehensive benefits package
- <Multus> He whom enters my employment may
avail himself of leeching and demon exorcism, though I warn you, the
deductible is quite high
- <Kalaris> Hmm, sounds interesting.
- * Kyrie offers a nod towards Kalaris before she
turns to watch the newcomers, appearing relaxed and helpless
like a proper lady should be she remains alert. A brow quirks at the
discussion of employment and the rather odd terms therein.
- * Kalaris gives a faint wave to Kyrie, before
turning her attentions back to Multus
- * Multus bows low before the two of them
- <Multus> sorry, lost a contact lens there
- <Kyrie> .. erhm contact lens? *blinks*
- <Multus> Now! Whofore shall be intrigued
by my offer of employment, temporary though it may be?
- <Multus> The toil may be great, yet I pay
in the coin of the realm, plus you get an hour for lunch and two
breaks, and we have free sodas.
- <Kalaris> I'm interested.
- <Multus> Ah, fair Kalaris, it does please
me to hear so.
- <Multus> Mayhap, what is thy typing
By the way, I'm trimming out all of the other
irrelevant stuff going on in the
channel, but here's a small sample, just for atmosphere:
- * SaphireDragon frowns
- <SaphireDragon> god?
- * LadyMarty enters, covering a yawn as she
tosses her cloak on the peg and turns to survey the firehall
- <Montrovant> yes milady
- <Montrovant> but why the frown? did my
answer not please you well?
- * Jolieve walks into the hall covered from head
to toe in road dust. Her leather armor looks like it's seen a couple
of piercings and her sword sheath is gone, so her amazingly beautiful
sword, with a large sapphire gracing the pommel, gleams in the candle
- * LadyMarty smiles at Kyrie and her young
charges...remembering her own at that age
- <Kalaris> Hmmm... 70 maybe 90 words a
- <Multus> By my beard! Thou
type'st more with greater accuracy than the kingdom's finest archer,
and more quickly than the southern winds blow! And definitely more quickly than
my last temp, Phil, who also often arrived late, dressed slovenly, and
stole a shitload of Post-It Notes.
- * Lumiere gasps and stares at Multus.
"Such language! Please refrain!"
- <Multus> Oh, forgive! Joy overcame me, at
the prospects of hiring one of such talent, that my tongue did slip,
and the profane word did escape me.
- <Kalaris> Of what?
- * Multus gasps.
- <Multus> Thou hast never heard of nor seen
the fabled Notes of Post-It?
- <Multus> Oh, milady! Golden in
color they are,
like sunshine, like warm, soft, perfect hay, as if spun from the
richest goldmines of uh... a famous mountain of some sort.
- * LadyMarty overhears a strange
conversation...a frown upon her brow
- <Multus> And so square! Square
they are, like a window, like a... what else is square back
then? Back now, I mean. Well, like a window, anyway.
- <Multus> And! As if by magic, they cling
to nearly all surfaces, milady! Assisted by neither tack nor
nail! Truly, it seems as if some wizardry
has had a hand in their making!
- <Multus> But I do prattle on.
- * Kalaris blinks slowly at Multus, then stands,
brushing a few strands of silver hair away from her black top. She
bows in greeting to Jolieve, then looks back at Multus
- <Multus> Now, good lady Kalaris, let us
seal our bargain, and agree that you shall arrive on my lands no later
than 8am, and that thoust shall bringest a timecard.
- <Kalaris> 8 am?
- <Multus> Ah, you are not familiar with
the term, nor my measure of time. When the morning sun poises just
above the lands to the east, and the cock doth crow with great aplomb,
and the Denny's Super-Slam breakfast goes on special... that is called
8am, where I am from.
Meanwhile, this is all still going on (and man, do I hate being
- * Montrovant bows to saphire
- * LadyCeinwen turns to lumiere, speaking softly
towards him.. her voice hardly a hushed whisper
- * SaphireDragon nods slowly
- * Montrovant bows to everyone else. then exits
- * Lumiere goes behind the bar, searches for a
moment, then brings LadyCeinwen sweet, spiced tea.
Bleah! Although, around this point, I get a
warning message (in private) from one of the channel operators:
- <Jolieve> Hate to ruin your
fun... but in this Camelot, Merlin has disappeared and is also the
only person who might have knowledge of post it notes and typing
speeds... We would appreciate it if you could stick to the Medieval
- <Multus> But... I come from
distant lands... distant wondrous lands... and I bring complementary
coffee mugs with my agency's logo, for all to enjoy.
- <Jolieve> That's very nice, but
stick with the genre please... there are other ops here who won't
bother to give you a warning.
That's better treatment than I deserve! Now, back to the public chat:
- <Kalaris> I am perfect aware of the
term.. I'd simply thought you needed more immediate assistance..
- <Multus> Ah... eager to begin, I see...
that pleases me. Nay, I do not require services before tomorrow's
the land is now dark with night and the phone is set on auto-answer.
- * Kalaris looks at this odd man, draconic eyes
narrowing slightly. She seems to have no sense of humor.. or any other
- <Kalaris> You are a very unusual
- <Multus> Indeed. And, fear not, a sense of humor be
not required for my employ, though a sense of direction helps, or
perhaps a Yahoo! Map, for finding my land can be a chore in itself.
- <Jolieve> (( Multus... you have been
warned about the out of genre commentary... please cease and desist
now, this is your final warning. )) <Multus> Er...
- <Multus> Forgive, I did not mean Yahoo!
Maps. What madness do I speak? I, um, believe they are called
Huzzah! Maps in this land. Yes?
- * Kalaris refrains from bopping the man soundly
on the head, as she is rapidly feeling increasingly inclined to do.
There seemed something not quite right about this one...
- * LadyCeinwen nods to Kalaris thinking the same
thing and handing her a sledge hammer incase she so feels inclined to
- <Kalaris> "WHERE... in the name of
all holy are you FROM...?"
- <Multus> I am from a land beyond the
stream... across the plain... beneath the mountains... just south of
midtown. Make a left on 37th, past the Shell station, we're on
the right, across from Pottery Barn. Beige building. You
might want to park on Madison, they don't check the meters much.
- * Kalaris blinks again, then does indeed bop
the man, soundly, on the top of the head with her closed fist.
- <Multus> Ow! Mine noggin!
- *** You were kicked by Jolieve (You were
1 / Chat 2 / Chat 3
/ Chat 4 / Chat 5 / Chat
6 / Chat 7 / Chat 8
page is: http://www.notmydesk.com/chat/chat7.html